Other India Bookstore is registered as a Trust under the Indian Societies Act, 1860. The Trust was set up in 1986 by a group of young scholars from India who revolted against the continued domination and control of the countrys academic life and intellectual culture by the West.
Other India Press, the publishing arm of the Bookstore, was set up in 1990 and is today one of the countrys most prominent publishers of alternative literature.
The present management of the Trust includes Srilatha Swaminathan (Chairperson), Norma Alvares (Secretary), Nyla Coelho (Treasurer), Claude Alvares, Vishram Gupte, Hartman De Souza, Neelima Kamat and Reggie Gomes (Executive Members).
The Trusts areas of concern and activity include:
- Distribution and sale of books exclusively from Asia, Africa and South America
- Marketing of literature generated by social activists
- Documentation and dissemination of alternative literature on health, agriculture and education
- Challenging conventional schooling institutions and networking alternatives to factory schooling.
For those who would like to know more about the bookstore, please read the following:
- Claude Alvares, Checking Globalisation: Some Tricks from the Book Trade (2006) (PDF)
- Claude Alvares, Books and Boundaries (2007)(PDF)