Toxic Trans Fat in Processed Foods
Consumers' Association of Penang
Book size: 140 x 110mm
About the Book
Toxic trans fat is made when food manufacturers turn vegetable oils into solid or semi-solid fats. Trans fat allows processed foods to remain fresh for longer periods. It was invented as an alternative to saturated fat.
But it is now found to be MORE DANGEROUS than saturated fat.
- The UN Food and Agriculture Organization calls for hydrogenated fats to be completely removed from our diet.
- The US Food and Drug Administration says that no level of trans fat is acceptable.
- 30,000-100,000 cardiac deaths a year could be prevented in the US if people replaced trans fat with healthier non-hydrogenated polyunsaturated or mono-unsaturated oil (Harvard University School of Public Health).
- For every 2% increase of calories from trans fat, the risk of heart disease increases by 36%. Women who consumed large amounts of trans fat had a greater risk of developing diabetes.
- Women with higher levels of trans fat in their body have 40% increased risk of breast cancer.
Toxic Trans Fat: The New Dietary Killer Hidden in Processed Foods / Health Experts’ Warnings / Trans Fat’s Health Havoc / Trans Fat, Heart Disease, Breast Cancer & Diabetes / What are Trans Fats? / More Dangerous than Saturated Fat / Where are Trans Fat Found? / Trans Fats in KFC’s and McDonald’s Foods / Trans Fat Labels: Confusing & Misleading / Trans Fat Labelling Puzzle / Action Taken by Overseas Govts / Back to Saturated Fats